GRANTS IN ACTION:
ukulele string program
Q: How has the SEF grant made a difference?
Because of the SEF grant, every 4th and 5th grade student in the Scituate Public School District is learning to play the ukulele! The elementary school music budget would not be able to accommodate such a large expenditure. I am very grateful for SEF funding!
Q: What kind of feedback have you received from program participants?
My students are really enjoying learning to play the ukulele! I asked them to list reasons why they felt it would be beneficial to learn the ukulele and here are some of their responses:
- Lifetime skill that brings JOY to people!
- Easily portable (beach, picnic, camping, family gatherings)
- Accompany your singing or play in a band with other musicians
- Great starting instrument to learn other string instruments (guitar, bass)
- Teaches musical concepts, e.g. chords, melody, ear training
- Teaches GROWTH MINDSET!
- Express yourself!
- Makes you a well-rounded person!
Q: What have you been able to do with help from SEF grant?
The ukuleles have given the music curriculum an enormous boost! The success rate is almost 100% and I’m now able to teach chordal harmony to students (something that I haven’t been able to do before). Many students are enjoying the ukuleles so much that they are buying their own instruments to keep! THANK YOU SEF!!!
SPS Elementary Music Teacher